If I got paid for hours that I didn’t work and now they want all the money back by Friday or they are getting a warrant, can they do that?

I don’t have the money. What should I do?

Asked on September 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They can't simply "get a warrant." What they can do is
1 If you were paid for hours you did not work, you are not entitled to the money. They may sue you to get it back--i.e. they can file a lawsuit in the appropriate court against you.
2 If you caused the overpayment intentionally, such as by lying about or falsying the hours worked, you committed a crime--a form of theft--and they can file a police report and look to press charges against you.
3 They can of course fire you.
So while they can't simply "get a warrant" in 72 hours, there are serious things they can do. Your best bet is to talk with them and see if you can enter into a payment plan to repay the money over time you should try to be as aggressive about payment as you can be, and repay in as short a time as possible. However, they don't have to agree to a plan--it's voluntary on their part--so they could insist on full payment or they will sue you, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.