If I got notificationthat Iwas left in a Will, what doI do now?

I spoke to the attorney’s assistant. They are probating my grandmother’s estate and all she said she could tell me is I have been listed in the Will. I just need to know if I am supposed to do anything?

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You should indeed be formally notified when the Attorneys have prepared the appropriate paperwork for the executor to offer the Will to probate in the courts in Florida.  You should receive notification of some sort (in some states they may send a consent and waiver of service; in other states notice and a copy of the Will) and once you get it you should have some one look at it on your behalf.  Your time to object to the Will being offered for probate will begin to run on  notification. Once the Will is admitted then the executor has to go about marshaling assets and paying debts.  Then filing tax returns and distributing assets.  You have a right to inquire and you should do so in writing every so often as to status.  Remember that a probate is a public proceeding so you can review the court file at any time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.