If I got a copyright infringment notice, what do I do?

Asked on March 3, 2013 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends: if you believe you are not infringing or violating another's copyright, you could explain your position to the person claiming infringement (or their attorney) and see if they agree; it would be better to retain an attorney to help you to this. If you are infringing, you should stop the infringing action--and again, if you are not sure if you are infringing, speak with an intellectual property attorney. If you in fact are infringing, you could be sued for monetary damages or compensation and also potentially face a court order requiring you to stop the infringing activity; therefore, you have to take this notice seriously.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.