What to do if I got married 6 months ago but we recently discovered that the judgment in my “husband’s” first marriage was never entered?

We will get the final judgment soon and realize we have to get remarried to make our marriage valid. However, do we have to get our marriage from 6 months ago annulled first? I do have a marriage license.

Asked on December 5, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that since your "husband's" divorce was not finalized at the time of your "marriage", then no marriage in fact took place. Therefore there is nothing to annul.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.