If I got married and want to take my husband’s surname but I’m a convicted felon, can I change my name the traditional way?

Or do I have to apply for a name change with the courts? My conviction was over 10 years ago.

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You would apply for a name change the traditional way, you would get your driver's license change and your social security card. I believe it has to be your social security card first and then your driver's license but check with the local Department of Motor Vehicles. This should not be affected by your prior conviction; however, keep in mind that your credit report history and any criminal history is logged by your social security number and that is always with you. So your married name would appear as an a/k/a or alias.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.