If I’m being sued for a car accident that I has when I was a minor, what would be the best way for me to handle this?

I got into a car accident when I was 16 and was found at fault; I didn’t have insurance. I had no money at the time and neither did my parents so we didn’t do anything at the time. Now I am 18 and today I found a alias summons in my door saying I’m being sued for $5,108. I do not have anything in my name and work for minimum wage. I don’t have much if any to give.

Asked on August 20, 2014 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

When a court judgment is obtained against you, you may want to consider filing bankruptcy.  If your parents are named in the lawsuit as well, then they should also consider filing bankruptcy if or when a court judgment is obtained against them.

Chapter 7 is straight liquidation which eliminates certain types of debts.  Based on your income, you should be eligible to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.