What to do about an accident that I got into a car accident in a gas station parking lot?

We both didn’t see each other and when we hit, the damages was a 1 inch scratch 1 mm think scratch I. The other vehicle. My car had nothing on it. The other vehicle lived out of town and were able to drive it home. The police officer at the scene stated to me that it was a tiny scratch and I shouldn’t go through my insurance company and it would be better to pay out of pocket for the damages. When I got the bill it was $1,500. For a 5 day rental car, 2 new tires, paint, and mechanical work. I was appalled and feel that I didn’t cause those damages! I don’t know where to go from here or if there is anything I can do?

Asked on September 7, 2013 under Accident Law, Utah


Stephen Whiting / Whiting & Jardine, LLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should turn it into your insurance company.  Let your insurance company have this fight instead of you.  In fact, your insurance policy may actually require you to report this accident.

Another option simply withhhold payment and force the other driver to take a pro-active action (i.e. contact your insurance company and/or file suit).

You also have the option to negoiate a settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.