If I got hit in my eye at school by a girl with a Frisbee and had to get eye exams and glasses, would she have to pay for them?

Asked on September 1, 2015 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She might only be liable or responsible to pay if she were at fault. She would only be at fault if she were negligent, or unreasonably careless. In a case like this, that generally means either playing frisbee in an inappropriate place, like a hallway or classroom, or throwing the frisbee without even looking. But if she were playing frisbee in a field or yard and you were in the field or yard near where she was playing and the frisbee happened to hit you or you were actually part of the game, then she was doing nothing wrong or careless and would most likely not be liable. 
If she were liable and is a minor, then her parents or legal guardians would be liable. 
If she or her parents are liable and do not pay voluntarily, to get the money, you'd have to sue. In the suit, you'd need medical expert testimony e.g. a doctor to testify as to the extent, nature, prognosis, treatment, etc. of the injury, which be expensive...unless you have suffered some permanent sight loss or large medial bills thousands of dollars, it would might not be worthwhile suing even if she were at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.