What are my rights if my former employer has not paid me my last paycheck?

I was employed as a carpet installer working for a couple weeks back. I did not sign any form or contract. I have repeatedly called and left messages and have not heard back. He wrote me a couple checks but they bounced. Can I sue him for not paying me? I have waited patiently for 2 months and have not received a dime.

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a compliant with your ste's dpeartment of labor. Also, you can sue your employer in small claims court; just be sure that the fees and time involved will be worth it (it depends on just how much you are owed in your last check).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.