If I got divorced 2 years ago and kept my ex-husband’s name, how do I now change back to my maiden name?

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Family Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can still change your name, but you will have to file a new petition for a name change.  After filing the petition, you will need to set a time for a hearing.  The main focus of the hearing will be to demonstrate that you are seeking the name change for personal reasons, and not with the intent to avoid prosecution or commit fraud.  After the judge signs the order granting the name change, you can then take the order to the DMV to get your name changed on your identification.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.