Since I got divorce after 2.5 years and I have greencard now, if I want to get married in UK on UK marriage visa, does that affect my citizenship in the future?

I came here on marriage visa and then I got divorced 3 years ago. I have permanent resident card and eligible to be citizen in 2 years. I met a guy who is in UK on work permit (HSMP visa) and we would like to get married in UK as they are offering marriage visa and after marriage I will come back to US. Does getting married in UK affects my future citizenship process? UK marriage registration is valid in USA? And after marriage can I file for my husband as spouse visa?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can get married in the UK.  A marriage legally entered into in another country is accorded the same status as a marriage entered into in the US.  As long as you return to the US after marriage since you are just a green card holder and cannot be outside the US for more than 6 months at a time, you should be fine.  You can petition for your spouse once you return but the process will take about 3 years since you are not yet a citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.