If I got caught growing small marijuana plants, should I ask for a public defender or anything I should be aware of when I go to court?

I’ve never been in trouble, never even had a speeding ticket. I just don’t know if having someone to represent me could help at all because I can’t really afford to hire a lawyer.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with the criminal offense of growing marijuana, the result if convicted could be jail time and a permanent criminal record. The combination of the two could very well have a negative impact for you as far as getting a job as well as pursuing higher education.

Given the seriousness of the situation that you are in, you should seriously consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney about your situation. If you cannot pay for one, you should ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you at the next court hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.