If I got bitten by bedbugs in a hotel, do I have a case?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF you required medical treatment due to the bites, you could sue the hotel to recover the cost of treatment. If you had to have clothing, etc. professionally cleaned to make sure you didn't bring any home, you could sue for the cost of that cleaning. That however is the extent of your rights: the law only gives you compensation for actual injuries, costs, or losses, and not simply because you were bitten. If the hotel chooses to not give you any compensation, your option would be to sue for your provable costs and losses; however, it may not be economically worthwhile to do this.

B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have a claim... the real issue is whether the expense of litigation will outweigh the extent of the injuries that you suffered.  The value of personal injury claim usually starts with the value of the initial injury.  If you were able to resolve the bug bites without any medical intervention... then this probably is not the most cost effective claim.  If you did require medical attention, you may want to hire an attorney to start with a demand letter to ask the hotel to reimburse you for your expenses.

Because most bedbug cases don't warrant major litigation, many people simple go online and make online reviews reflecting the issues with the hotel to warn he next set of consumers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.