What to do if I got arrested for not paying restitution for damages in auto accident but my insurance company had already paid the victim?

Is there anything that I can do about it?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested for allegedly not paying restitution for damages in an auto accident but the victim was paid by your insurance carrier, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as to what your legal options are. Most likely the restitution order is completely different from any personal injury claim stemming from the event that your insurance carrier paid money for to the victim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.