What to do if I got an MIP this past weekend and I don’t think I should have gotten one?

I went to the hospital and they told my resident mentor that if I were to go to the hospital I wouldn’t get an MIP. So she called an ambulance thinking that I had alcohol poisoning. I spent the night in the hospital and the next day the police officer came to my dorm room and handed me the ticket for an MIP. Should I try fighting this or just leave it as is? Should I speak with a DUI attoreny? I’m in Ingham County, MI.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were cited by law enforcement for an offense that you do not believe is warranted, you should consult immediately with a criminal defense attorney about the circumstances in that a criminal conviction or a criminal plea could have a negative impact upon your future for possible jobs and higher education.

You should also provide any criminal defense attorney that you consult with about the incident with your medical records from the recent hopsitalization in that these records will be a factor in the prosecution's claims against you in the criminal matter you are facing.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.