What to do ifI got a ticket for use of marijuanabut when I went to the courthouse several days laterI was told my charge had been upgraded to possession?

Was this legal?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Prosecutors can legally increase or decrease the number of charges or the severity of the charges without permission.  There are however rules governing  the procedures in making these changes.  Your lawyer needs to make sure that the DA followed those procedures or seek to have the new charge dismissed. 

Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire a lawyer.  This question can't be answered without looking at the ticket and interviewing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.