If I got a3 day notice to pay rent or quit, what are my obligations if I decide to quit?

I left a message for my apartment manager telling her that my checkbook was left in my truck which is at a repair facility. I was going to be a day late and requested an extension. Manager claims they never got that message and gave me a three day notice to pay or quit as well as a high late fee. Should I choose to quit and move out (since I do not agree to the late fee) would I still be obligated for rent? If so, how long?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The three (3) day notice to pay or quit that you received concerning your rental is a statutory process where the landord is giving you the option to pay the dollar amount demanded to stay in the rental or if not, you are being advised that your lease will be at an end.

If you do not pay the demanded amount in the designated time period, you will most likely be served with an unlawful detainer action. If the lease is deemed at an end, the landlord could still sue you for the balance of the time remaining on the lease after you are evicted or choose to leave the premises. I suggest that you consult with a landlord attorney about your situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.