What to do if I got a summons to appear in court on a collection account that is in my name but I didn’t open the account, my mom did in my name without my knowledge?

Now they are coming after me and I cannot afford to pay it. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Louisiana


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

you can defned and show that you did not sign for the account and did not use it.  or file a bankruptcy and get rid of all your debts

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.