What canI do about a summons that I received for a debt that I was never informed about?

I got a summons from a debt collection agency. I wrote a checkingr the amount of $20.81 but I never got anything in the mail or phone calls saying that this check did not clear my account; if I did I would have been more than happy to pay. Now they want me to pay for the check, the return check fee of $20, damages of $100, and attorney’s fee $250. SinceI never got anything about this, what can I do to fix this problem?

Asked on September 13, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file an answer to the complaint.  The complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons.  The answer denies the allegations in the complaint.  At the law library look in the index of Pleading and Practice  for answer to complaint.  You will see the general format for a complaint and specific examples of complaints.  At the end of the answer is the verification which you will need to include with your answer.  The verification attests to the veracity of your responses and is signed under penalty of perjury.  File the answer and verification with a proof of service with the court and mail a copy to the opposing attorney.  The proof of service just confirms the date of mailing.  You can obtain a court form proof of service or you can write your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.