If I got a DUI a few days ago, should I get a lawyer?

I was in the wrong I know that. It’s my first one.

Asked on July 6, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should definitely hire an attorney for this (or at least consult with one). A lawyer who is experienced in DUI cases may be able to get the charge dimissed on a technicality, reduced or, if it comes down to it, obtain an aquittal at trial. The fact is that a DUI is a criminal charge and any time such a charge is involved having legal counsel is adviseable. A conviction will affect your criminal history record which in turn will impact employment, scholarships, professional licenses, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.