I got a divorce one stae but we now both live in anoher state, in which state can I re-open my case?

I want to reopen the case or file a motion to modify the amount of money that he pays me; he is earning more now than he was showing at the time of the divorce.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to re-open the marital dissolution case that you have written about then you need to re-open the matter in the county and state where the existing order as to your dissolution presumably is venued. Given what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in the matter of concern.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.