What to do if I got a credit card and named my fiancé as an authorized user but he ran over our credit limit without my knowledge and has no intention of paying it back?

I need help on getting out of this debt. What can I do?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your issue is with your finance' at this point in time and not your credit card company. I would immediately call and write your credit car company advising it that your fiance' is not authorized to charge on your credit card. As to getting your fiance' to pay off this debt, that is your challenge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.