If I get paid $15 and hour, is it legal if my boss wants to pay me only $10 for mandatory meetings?

Asked on February 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as your compensation meets at least the stated minimum wage in your state, it is legal to pay you less than your regular hourly rate. The fact is that employers can choose to pay different rates for different job duties (i.e. attending a meeting). Accordingly, unless this action violates company policy or the term of a union agreement or employment contract, it is legal. Also, your treatment must not constitute some form of actionable discrimination. The fact is that in an "at will" work arrangment, an employer can set the conditons of employment much a sit sees fit or deems necessary.
Note: If you are a non-exempt worker, to the extent that your attendance at these mandatory meetings puts you over 40 hours for the work week, it must be paid as OT. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal, unless you have a written employment contract to the contrary, guarantying your $15 per hour rate. Otherwise, while uncommon, it is legal for an employer to pay different rates for diferent aspects of the job (such as for meetings) as long as all rates equal or exceed minimum wage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.