If I gave my son a family heirloom ring to give his wife as an engagement ring but he passed away, can I ask her to return the ring?

She moved in with another man within a couple of months. I want to give it to another family member.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the lawsof all states in this country, once a gift is given by a person to another,the recipient can do what he or she does with the given item. In your matter the ring was given by you to your now deceased son who gave it to his wife. You can ask her for the ring back, but it is hers to do what she wishes to do with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.