I gave my resignation and was then terminated. Do I qualify for unemployment?

I live in NYC. I gave my resignation for three weeks after the date I resigned in
order to properly set up my employer with training for my replacement, and she
chose to end my employment five days later. Do I qualify for unemployment
because she terminated my employment early?

Asked on October 30, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Giving notice is a courtesy, not a legal requirement. Accordingly, once you gave it your employer, it could consider it to be your immediate resignation. And voluntarily leaving a job makes a person ineligible to collect unemployment compensation. The only protection here would be if your treatment violated the terms of any employment contract that you may have had.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You most likely do not qualify for unemployment because you had already resigned, indicating that you were terminating your employment voluntarily. The notice period is a tradition or courtesy, not a legal requirement; your employer may treat your employment as voluntarily terminated by you effectuive as of when you announced your resignation and so this would be treated as a voluntary separation from employment, making you ineligible for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.