I Found Out The Attorney That Has A Discovercard Judgement On Me Does Not Have A MA Debt Collectors License, What Can I Do?

I Found Out The Attorney That Has A Discovercard Judgement On Me Does Not Have A MA Debt Collectors License, I Believe from reading the requirement as a “Debt Collector” They Should Have The License, But I Can Not Understand it all. What Can I Do? I Checked The Licensing On Line, Name & Business name is Not Listed But is A registered attorney, Massachusetts Division of Banks Licensee List: http://db.state.ma.us/dob/licenseelist.asp#searchform

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

the attorney is pursing the debt for a creditor i would assume. furthermore a debt collector is not usually the attorney however it sometime can be a collections attorney but they are two different things. what your saying makes it sound as if your look into into a debt collector.

If you still think the attorney falls into that category call a local attorney who specializes in collections in MA. they can probably answer you very quickly as to whether you have a valid issue. however regardless of any of this is you owe the money a judgment will be taken whether at this point or another so if you can settle this account its in your best interest

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.