What to do if I found out that my tenant added an extra electrical outlet and drilled a hole in the cabinet without my consent?

He argued that it is normal wear and tear and such change will not require a permit from the city. He is refusing to pay for an electrician assessment. How should I proceed?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Read the lease agreement.  Usually there is something in there about improvements without written consent.  Even if there isn't, there is a legal concept called ameliorative waste that may help you.  The tenant can't alter the property without your consent.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.