I found out a warrant has been issued for my arrest, what do I do?

What are my rights?

Asked on July 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should retain counsel and have your matter reviewed by an ayyorney.  You may have to appear in on the warrant or your attorney may be able to have the warant stayed pending a hearing. 

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't give much by way of details, however since there is a warrant out for your arrest, you need to take care of it ASAP. The first thing that you should do is to consult with a criminal defense lawyer who practices in the jurisdiction that iissued the warrant. They can use their local contacts to your best advanatge. The fact is that until this is cleared up (not just the warrant but the underlying charge as well), you can be taken into custody at any time. Additionally, it is always better to appear in court voluntarily. Again, you need to speak with an attorney and go over the details of your case; they can then advise as to what course of action to take.

Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The best thing you can do is hire an attorney.  He can be there to make sure that you are protected, that you do not say anything to imcriminate yourself, that any identification procedures are done fairly and that he can arrange your voluntary surrender to minimize the time spent in jail and hopefully secure lower bail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.