I fixed my car’s transmission for 4000 in February and was hit by a driver on their cell phone in March. Can I recoupe the money I spent to fix transmission if my car is totalled?

I was stopped at a red light when rear-ended by another driver on their cell phone.
My car is probably totalled due to frame damage. I did the transmission work
expecting to keep the car for years. Their insuranceAutoOwner’s has accepted

Asked on May 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot recoup the transmission cost. The most an at-fault driver (like the one who hit you) or his/her insurer has to pay is the then-current value of your car, given its age, make, model, features/options, and condition (so having a new or recently repaired transmission should slightly increase its value over that of a car without such). A party's or insurer's obligation to repay is based on value, not cost, including maintainence, cost. Sometimes this benefits you--as when you given a car by a family member, or got a great deal on one, and the amount of money you get is not reduced by the fact that you got it for free or a reduced price. Othertimes, it hurts you, as when you paid extra for a car or put alot into keeping it running.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.