If I financed the sale of my travel trailer to a buyer but they stopped paying for it 6 months ago, what are my rights?

I have a copy of his driver’s license and want to know if I can legally report it as stolen? I tried to contact him numerous times (email and phone) but no response. He does not live at the same place when he bought the trailer.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, a failure to continue paying on a loan or other financing is not criminal unless you can show criminal intent *at the time* the loan or financing was taken out--that is, that he took out the financing intending at the time to not repay it. Otherwise, this is a civil matter, not a  criminal one--your recourse is to sue him to enforce the financing agreement and sale agreement and get the rest of the money he owes you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.