What to do if I filled for divorce 2 months ago but my former spouse has not yet signed the papers?

He has not helped that much with 3 of my children since we parted ways. I am not doing well financially and don’t have anybody to help with the debt I continue to accrue. I do have family in another state, if I was to pack my girls up and leave am I committing any crimes?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you filed for divorce, the automatic restraining orders on the second page of the summons prevent you from taking the children out of the state. 

I'm really confused about what you need him to sign--unless you have a marital settlement agreement drawn up.  You need to ask the court for child support and spousal support.  Please contact me and I will give you a free consultation over the phone.  Best of luck.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a court order in place concerning your dissolution prohibiting you from leaving where you are residing with your minor children and move to another state, then under the laws of all states in this country you are doing nothing improper from a criminal standpoint.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.