If I filed for an agreed divorce but now my spouse won’t sign, what to do with paperwork?

What do I do next with the paperwork?

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since your spouse has legally been served, you can move forward with the case, even if he refuses to sign. Once served with it, he has a period of time in which to "answer" your complaint. If he fails to do so within that required period of time (just how long depends on specific state law), you can proceed with what is known as a "default divorce". This is a divorce that is granted in the absence of one of the parties; it is generally granted on the terms requested. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.