If I filed for child support last week and both parties have received their letters, do I need to get an attorney or wait and see what transpires?

I have a feeling things are going to get messy because the child’s father likes to stir the pot so to speak, just because he can.

Asked on December 4, 2012 under Family Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given that you have written about the "stirring the pot" issue and the child support filing that you did, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to represent your and your minor childrens' interest. Such seemingly would be the safest and easiest way to get matters concluded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.