What to do if I filed Chapter 7 last year but tuition and fees from a university weren’t included in the list?

I called the school today to get my transcripts and they said in order to get rid of debt they wanted a copy of my discharge letter and the list stating that they were also discharged. Here is the problem, 2 years ago they soled my debt to a collection agency and the collection agency never reported the debt to my credit report and of couse long forgotten I am stuck in this dellema. What can I do it my case was discharged last year and I cant afford to pay off $9,800 I didn’t even recieve my degree I am 1 credit from my bachelor’s degree I am nervouse please help?

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the debt was not listed, you can file a motion to re-open the case to include the creditor.  A new filing fee would be required.  In some jurisdictions, the innocent omission of the creditor may still result in a discharge of the liabilty.  Consult with an attorney to determine your next step.  It would be more cost effective than paying the school the 9K.  Understand that if the debt is in the nature of a student loan, it is probably not covered by the discharge in any event.

Good Luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.