What to do if I filed Chapter 7 and requested to keep my car but had to be hospitalized so the motion for an automatic stay was lifted and my vehicle was repossessed?

I filed but than had to be admitted to an inpatient treatment facility; I just got out. I am working now and they just recently collected my vehicle. Is there any way to get it back without paying a lump sum? The motion for lift of automatic stay was granted because I was in the inpatient facility and could not attend the hearing.

Asked on October 24, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did you have an attorney representing you? If so, this shouldn't have happened because your attorney would represent your interests without your presence.  Consider filing a claim with the state bar against your lawyer.  Then hire a new attorney. If you were pro SE, you need to contest proper notice. If you had proper notice, it would be up to you to request a delay. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.