If I filed bankruptcy and gave my landlord a copy of the petition but he wants more proof, what should I do?

I have filed bankruptcy and I am 2 months behind on rent. I have included that in the bankruptcy. My landlord is harassing me and says he will evict me and my children and that he needed more proof other than the petition. Also he is giving me only until tonight to produce more proof that I filed. I had filed myself without using an attorney. I need help; what should I do?

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to produce a copy of the filing and he will need to be served with a filing that lets him file a claim against you. You will be evicted because you have breached your contractual agreement and you cannot be allowed to maintain the residence without payment. You can petition the court to lift the motion to stay for this debt and keep living there as long as you pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.