How do I re-open a bankruptcy?

II filed bankrupciy about 2 years ago and the case is closed without the debt being charged off because I never completed my last bankrupcy class. I need to reopen this case; how do I go about it? I filed the paperwork for the original bankrupcy myself and never took the last credit class. Do I just need to reopen my case and take the class?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the bankruptcy that you filed several years ago was dismissed without prejudice due to the fact that you never filed the necessary paper work to move it along, then you need to file a whole new petition for such and start all over.

I suggest that you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to assist you in getting all the paperwork needed to complete what is needed for such a proceeding so as to get the discharge of your debts that you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.