What to do if I’m a US citizen and filed a form I-130 on behalf of my wife who is in India but I was asked to further validate our marriage certificate?

Recently, I received a letter that asked me to further validate the marriage certificate I submitted. Even though my marriage certificate was filed with an appropriate registrar, it didn’t say the word “registrar”. Instead it has a seal as well as the signature of the “marriage officer” along with witnesses. The RFE is asking me to provide the marriage certificate filed in front of the civil authority. Indian passports have a space where you can fill in spouses name. This will only be done with a valid marriage certificate. If I have my spouse include my name as her husband in the passport and have it re-issued, will that cause any further delays ?

Asked on August 9, 2014 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to present a valid marriage certificate.  If what you have is not exactly the same thing as what is being requested you can submit an explanation and some secondary evidence that the marriage is legal and bona fide.  You may have to contact the local office where the certificate was issued or get a statement from the officiating person to affirm that the marriage performed was valid and complied with the local rules and customs

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.