I Filed a false police report against my boyfriend. I sent a letter to the DA telling her that. WIll they let him go and will I get in trouble?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Pennsylvania, the general rule is that filing a false police report exposes the filer to criminal liability.  Your letter to the prosecuting authority could certainly be used against you, and you may be charged with the crime of filing a false report.  Moreover, although this letter would tend to negate the state's case against your boyfriend, it does not guarantee that the state would drop the charges against your boyfriend.  When an individual files a false report and then does not wish to see the defendant prosecuted as a result of that report, there are often ways to remedy the situation; however, effectively doing so requires the skill of an experienced defense attorney, and the failure to retain competent counsel often results in adverse and unanticipated consequences, as you are now discovering.  My advice is to consult with and/or retain a defense attorney immediately in the interest of resolving both your boyfriend's case as well as your potential criminal liability as favorably as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.