What to do if I fell for a weightloss scam and took a trial of the products for $19.95 and then send them back within 2 weeks but now I’m being charged $202?

My boyfriend was reading on it and I was supposed to ring up and get a code to send it back. I rang the line for days getting put on hold each time but the third day and about the 30th call I knew it was a scam and got my boyfriend to send it back straight. Now a month and a bit later, there’s a letter saying that we have to pay $202 or else there will be a debt collector for my boyfriend (it was in his name).I have no idea what to do. We’re teenagers who are still in school and don’t have jobs. What can we do legally?

Asked on July 30, 2014 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Try reporting it to the state attorney general's office, the department of consumer protection. They may be able to help you. If they cannot, there is probably no cost effective way to fight this--to be successful, you'd likely need an attorney, and a lawyer could cost more, even if you win, then you hope to save. If the dept. of consumer protection cannot help you, you may have to bite the bullet and pay--even if that means having to confess to parents or legal guardians what you did and borrowing the money to pay. For the  future--most low introductory price trial offers have some "catch"  like this--such as you have to cancel within a certain time in a certain way, which is often not easy to do, or else pay extra. Be careful with any "introductory" or "trial" offers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.