What can I do to try and get full custody of my granddaughter?

I feel my granddaughter is not being taken care of my her mother (my daughter). My daugher is 19 and works 3 jobs and goes to college. Her daughter is 2 1/2. You may think how amazing, not at all a lazy mom, but I believe it’s to get away from her daughter whom is pawned off on anyone and everyone. I believe my daughter is bipolar or has a personality disorder. I have partial custody now with 2 days a week, which I only filed for rights to see her. I wonder if I would have filed for full custody, would I have a chance. The baby’s father is back in rehab (addicted to heroin). He is in and out of jail and rehab but when he is home he cares for the baby.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should speak with an attorney in the area on the matter.  There are many, many issues here that need to be sort through and they will all impact on a judge's determination as to custody.  There are two types of custody: physical and legal.  If you want to have her full time then you need both becuase you need to be able to make real decisions for her - school, medical, etc.,  - should the need be.  Determinations are made with "the best interests of the child" in mind.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.