If I feel like my children aren’t taken care of at their father’s house, can I limit his visitation?

They aren’t bathed while they are there. He doesn’t help support them in anyway other than garnished child support. I have sole custody as well. He has visitation but anything outside of his 2 days a week is at my discretion.

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Anything within your discretion (e.g. beyond the two days a week he's guaranteed) you can control, so you don't need to  let the children visit with him more than is required in the divorce decree or agreement. To alter the visitation in the decree or settlement, however, you'd have to go to court and get a court order; this would require showing that he is actively harming the children's interests (not just not taking as good a care of them as he should).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.