Wht are my right if I was set up by the police to commit a crime?

I was having a conversation with a person using the internet, it was an adult conversation. We agreed to meet. As I was on my way to meeting the person, the police stopped me and accused of under aged sex solicitation. There is 2 more charges that can’t come to my mind at this time, I feel I was set up, at no time I knew the person to be under aged, I have meet some girlfriends this way, Can I beat this charges? I’m 26 years old not a criminal.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This will be a difficult case to prove that you were entrapped or set up by the police. Typically in police sting operations such as these, at some point during your online (or even offline) communications, the person you supposedly interfaced with will have to reveal to you that they were under the age 18 (usually the police will reveal an age under 16), and you must continue to engage in the conversations/meetings with the alleged minor to be charged with soliciting a minor or sexual contact with a minor. You will need to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area because these are very serious charges that can lead to jail time and a mandatory sex offender registration if convicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.