What to do about employment discrimination at my workplace?

A new girl got hired in my department as part-time and I work full-time. My boss started her off with more pay because she is a friend of hers. The new girl does not have half of the work I have. Can anything be done? When I started in that department I started as a temp and they did not want to pay me more but when they hired the new girl as a temp to do my paper work she started at a higher pay that me because she knows the manager.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that employees do not have to be treated equally or even fairly. It is perfectly permissable to give one employee more favorable treatment than another as long as such treatment does not violate company policy, a union agreement or employment contract. Also, if differing treatment is the result of actionable discrimination. For example, if you have been given less favorable treatment due to your status in a legally protected class, that would be illegal. So while in general discrimination in the workplace does not violate the law, there can be no discrimination based on such factors as: race, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin.

Bottom line, based on the facts presented, you appear not to have a claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.