If I established a “Special Needs Trust” for my disabled son but now wish to change the trustee who will administer the Trust, what is the process?

My son is currently on Social Security disability. The trust goes into effect upon my death. I am the payee for my son’s disability payments. I would like the new trustee to handle this job when the time comes. Can this happen automatically? I cannot find any Social Security forms for this process.

Asked on August 25, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the terms of the trust should state how you are to accomplish this.  It may allow you to name a successor trustee in your Will or by some other means.  If not, it may have to be modified or amended to add a successor trustee. Please seek help from an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.