What to do if I drive all over the metro area for work using my personal vehicle but am not being properly compensated?

Up until last month my miles driven for work was compensated at the IRS rate of .56 cents a mile; however, my miles driven for work ballooned last month and now my employer is refusing to compensate me. I live 15 miles from one of the locations I am frequently sent to for work and HR sent me a statement communicating that because of the proximity between my home and this location I will not be compensated for my full 37 mile commute even though I’m sent to make this drive twice a week minimum (even more last month). We have had past and present workers who’ve lived minutes from locations we are frequently sent to for work and it has never been an issue for them.

Asked on October 26, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Employers are not required to compensate employees for mileage, gasoline, etc.--it is purely voluntary for them to do this. Also, unless there is a written contract guarantying you this compensation, then even if the employer provided it in the past, they are free to change the policy at any time. From what you write, you employer may refuse to compensate you now if it chooses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.