What to do about my husband intending to committ bigamy, not answering my calls, and making false claims to defraud the government?

I found out that my legal husband (of 4 years) is engaged to his girlfriend. Additionally, he has applied to the Sheriff’s Department here but lied on the application about his legal marital status. I can’t afford a lawyer but I have contacted his family and his fiance to remind them that this is a felony and no one will respond. Additionally, I have just found out that my husband has been actively defrauding the United States Army by claiming separation pay despite us not being legally separated. What can I do?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that it is time for you to seek legal help about obtaining a divorce.  His new "marriage" will not be legal and if his girlfriend and family will not listen then there is nothing you can do and nothing further you should do at this point.  You must think of yourself and moving on.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.