What to do if I am a 26 year old male and was in a sexual relationship with a 17 year old female who is soon to be 18 but her parents want to press charges?

I need to know what sort of situation I am in.

Asked on September 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


Stacey Schlimmer / Schlimmer Law, LLC

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In Kansas, the age of consent is 16 years old, per K.S.A. 21-3503 and K.S.A. 21-3504. These statutes concern the charges of Indecent Liberties with a Child and Aggravated Indecent Liberties with a Child. Though her parents may not approve of your relationship, if it is consenting, it does not sound as if they have grounds for filing charges.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It appears that in your state, so long as 1) she was over 16 at the time of all intimate contact, 2) there was no force, threat of force, etc. involved, and 3) that she was capable of consent (e.g. not drugged, drunk, etc.) that  you did not commit a crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.