What is considered to be illegal termination?

What happened was, I SMS my dean that I will resign from my work because I felt humiliated, pre condemned, pre judged and the confidentiality of my issue was deprived. She even told me that “I want to keep you but…” This alone make me lethargic, that I cant think positively. She even told me this statement in front of the secretary with the door widely opened. I felt so embarrassed that day. A day of being absent I reported again, however she told me that they already arrange in my replacement. I felt harassed because of maltreatment of my being professional.I was treated unprofessionally.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing illegal about what your employer did. You contacted your employer to say that  you will resign, so they could treat that message or contact as your resignation. Alternately, they could have fired you since you expressed being disaffected at work, and an employer is not obligated to keep a disaffected or unhappy employee (unless, perhaps, you had an employment contract; if so, review its terms to see if they protect you). Employers are allowed to treat you unprofessionally if they choose; there is no recourse for that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.