When can I stop paying child support?

I divorced my wife 4 years ago. We have 2 children, the youngest of which turned 19 last month (our older child is now 23). My ex-wife moved out of state with the children shortly after the divorce was final and I have subsequently relocated to another state as well. I have been paying child support faithfully since the divorce. As I understand the law in the state in which we were divorced, child support is no longer required once the younger child reaches the age of majority, 19. Am I correct in assuming that I can now legally cease paying child support?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


B Elaine Jones / The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Dear Sir -  Yes, if your children have reached the age of majority and you did not agree to pay past the age of majority, you can quit paying.  If the child support is taken from your check automatically, you will have to straighten that out but going back to Court.  If you need  further assistance with your case please do not hesitate to contact me. 


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.